Tuesday, January 15, 2013

We Came to Rock Out - And Why Rocking Out by Proxy is Still Cool (Sort Of)

Maybe because it's winter, maybe because I'm feeling old, or maybe because I'm bored, but I've been thinking a lot today about when I used to be cool.

More specifically, when I used to be cool and go to shows. (I'll have to dig up pictures, it's hilarious.) Yeah, it was a short period in my life, but a good one. Perhaps that's why I relish the opportunity as a photographer to photograph shows. If I'm too much of a mom to rock out anymore, at least someone is up there giving it a go! And at least I get to take pictures of it, and thus, rock out by proxy!

This past year I had the opportunity to photograph one of my favorite bands (and a number of drag queens) at Madison's 3rd Annual Fruit Fest on Willy Street. Like every other time I've seen Girl In A Coma (GiaC), they left me in awe of their collective talent. I even talked with the guitarist for a minute and kept my geeking out to a bare minimum.

Prior to Girl In A Coma, I got to check out the awesome drag queen (and king) shows Fruit Fest had to offer.



Cazwell, who I'd never heard of but was pleased to be introduced to, also performed, and put on a crazy energetic show. (Seriously, I would have been in a puddle after about 15 minutes of jumping around such as I saw during his set.) 


Then, the long awaited Girl In A Coma set! Their music speaks for itself, so if you haven't heard them, check out the video link at the end of this post. *happy sighs* 



I wanted to stay and photograph more of the event, but truthfully, a bigger part of me wanted to get home to the nerdery to start editing pictures of some of my favorite rock stars and daydreaming about becoming a famous rock band photographer. So that's exactly what I did.

2 comments:

  1. What were you shooting with during the fest?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was shooting on a Canon 7D, with the 24-70mm 2.8 Canon L series lens. Great all purpose lens, that one!

    ReplyDelete